Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

The next phase of the Government Covid-19 support package is starting to get under way.  This is specifically for the self-employed.

You can claim if you are a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and:

  • you traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self-Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
  • you traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
  • you intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
  • you  carry on a trade which has been adversely affected by coronavirus

You need to first check on line at to see if you are entitled to make a claim.  For this you will need your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and your National Insurance Number.  Each member of a partnership must make an individual claim.

Once you have entered these details you will have to enter an email address that HMRC can use to contact you on to instruct you when you can make your claim.

At this point you will also be given the opportunity to create an online personal tax account if you do not already have one.

You will need this account to make your claim.

To set up your personal tax account you will need your passport or driving licence to hand to confirm your identity.  Upon being given a Government Gateway user ID, print it off or make a note of it and keep it safe.  You will also have to add a password to enable you to login in future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.